Monday, February 28, 2011

No Bake, 'instant' Frosted Cookie Project

I don't know about anyone else but this weary Nana always seems to have much more inspiration from the couch, late at night after the last 'whew!' of the day. During my pre-sleep stupor I somehow imagine all of the energy and time I will miraculously have 'tomorrow'. When tomorrow doesn't deliver, I get down on myself for being a slacker and the cycle continues as I promise that the next 'tomorrow' will reap many productive hours. As a way to assuage the guilt and actually make good on these late night promises to myself, I sometimes 'invent' shortcuts that make a project doable.

Keeping in mind how much fun I had when making my cookie bouquet I resolved to make this a craft with the kids...but I lack the time and patience for an all out, full blown batch. So here is the guilt-free, quickie Nana version:

NEEDED:
  • Animal Crackers - I buy a gallon-sized container from Sams (they store forever)
  • Sugar cookie frosting recipe
  • Sprinkles
  • Paper plates
  • Spoons
INSTRUCTIONS:
  • Dole out a few cookies per child and place on paper plate
  • Make frosting and flavor (we used lemon juice)
  • Tint to favorite color (the princesses like pink)
  • Place bowl of frosting between kids and give each child a spoon.
  • They can drizzle or spread, depending on ability (I worked with a 2 and 4 year old)
  • Place sprinkles into a small cup and allow children to pinch a bit and sprinkle or pour.
  • Voila', you now have frosted cookies
  • Let them stand until frosting hardens.
  • Use as bargaining tool throughout the day ;-)


Although this condensed version lacks the panache of the adult
variety, the kids are happy and think that they are just as tasty. If you've ever noticed, kids seem to like the taste of anything that they have helped to 'create'.

No baking, minimal mess and happy campers all around!

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! Stop by again...you never know what we'll be up to next.

      Delete
  2. Adorable! Thanks so much for sharing and linking up with us at Kids in the Kitchen. Hope to see you again next week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pleasure to visit...thank you so much for the opportunity!

      Delete
  3. What a great idea! visiting from Kids in the Kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet your kids had great fun doing this :-) If you'd like to share them pop over here http://happywhimsicalhearts.blogspot.com.au/2012/03/happy-lil-s-are-baking-11.html

    Warmly, Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went over to your blog to link and was successful, however, I was unable to post a comment. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete

Thank you for your feedback...I love to know what is on your mind! My comment section is set for moderation and your post will be visible shortly!