Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Good morning, Sunshine!

It's been our pleasure to have 3 year old Sarah spend the week with us while our son competes in the Augusta Iron Man 70.3. Since I enjoy creating fun things for my kids to eat, I decided that we would make 'sunshine toast' on her first morning here. It was a big hit and has therefore been requested each morning since. Here are the very simple specs:


Ingredients (per 1 serving):

Butter
1 egg
1 slice bread
Shredded cheese

Tools:

Skillet (I prefer cast iron)
Biscuit cutter (cookie cutter or cup)
Spatula
Fork



Procedure:

1.) Place about a pat of butter in skillet and melt.

2.) Cut out a hole in the center of the bread with biscuit cutter or small cup (get creative and use other shapes if you wish).

3.) Place bread into skillet and absorb some of the butter and then flip over.

4.) Place egg into hole and break up yolk with fork.

5.) Allow to cook until  bottom of bread looks toasted and then, using metal spatula, turn over.

6.) Sprinkle with a small amount of shredded cheese and allow to cook until center feels firm.

7.) After removing your 'sunshine toast' add a bit more butter to the skillet and place centers of bread into melted butter.

8.) Allow to toast and then remove.





Now you are ready to wow your pre-school crowd with your culinary skills! This will encourage even picky eaters to finish their breakfast (especially if they sprinkle their own cheese) and is easy to do. This one got me 'Top Chef' ranking ;-)

5 comments:

  1. WOWZA on your son and the IronMan! I'm amazed by the athletes.

    I may have to try this recipe at home with my wild crew. Looks good!

    I'm stopping by from Catholic Mothers Online ... welcome to the community there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for linking up! This looks really tasty. I look forward to trying it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wanted to try this one- I have three boys who would love it! I have a new link up you can connect this post to- http://bit.ly/KidsNtheKitchen :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for linking up - love the "wow your preschool pals" - teheehee

    ReplyDelete
  5. This brings me back to my childhood. I love making "egg in a hat." My kids enjoy them too. It has been a while since we have made them, but looking at your photos wants me to make them again with my kids. Thanks for linking up with us at Kids in the Kitchen! Great family recipe you shared! We hope to see you again! Blessings, Carrie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your feedback...I love to know what is on your mind! My comment section is set for moderation and your post will be visible shortly!