Tuesday, February 21, 2012

My Lenten Journey - REHAB PROMISES!

Well, Lent is officially upon us and I can't remember a time when I was more excited about the prospect. I don't know if it's all of the wonderful Catholic friends I've made during the past year or if I'm just getting a bit further along on my 'journey'. Maybe it's a bit of both. In any case, I have been compiling a list of sorts for my Lenten Journey and this post will make it official. I'm blessed to have married exactly the right man and as we were discussing Lent today, he told me that our plans for Lent are very similar. He's working out of town for the next week, so we will begin this journey apart from each other; that's why I promised him a post to read Ash Wednesday morning.

So here is a listing of the ideas that I have developed over the past few days. I've left off the obvious ones that we do every year, so this is a newly hatched list - a.k.a. REHAB PROMISES:

Rosary - there's an app for that! Rosary Audio says the prayers with you. Perfect for travel!
Electronics - I will use them smarter, by limiting myself to only worthy pursuits!
Health - not a diet, but a better attitude to strive for a healthy sense of physical well-being.
Activity - do something instead of being passive...get up out of that (computer) chair!
Blog about meatless dishes and other Lenten activities, prayers, and meditations.

Projects - sewing and crafting will become a more routine part of my life. No idle hands!
Relearn the art of writing cards and letters to those I love.
Organization - making an effort to minimize 'stuff' and then sharing it with those in need.
Make magnets for the refrigerator and then choose at least 3 of these activities per day.
iBreviary - Mass readings have never been easier to read. Make this a daily, shared experience!
Simplify my day with more quiet time - give myself a chance to hear the whispers of God.
Early to bed, early to rise promises to be a difficult, yet doable, objective for this night owl.
Start submitting Pro-life Corner posts for parish bulletins again.

Just for the fun of it, I ran the first letters of my list through one of those word descramblers. The result? You guessed it - REHAB PROMISES. I couldn't think of a better way to describe how I'm going to attack this list. Like a true addict of things of this world, I will try to stay 'clean' throughout these 40 Days and begin my 'new normal'! Stay tuned as I elaborate on my progress from time to time.

Happy Lent and let us all pray for one another!


Also check out my posts for children - My Lenten Journey for Kids and EGG-straordinary Lenten Rosary Project for Your Family




10 comments:

  1. You might also want to check out the iPieta app - see their site at http://iPieta.com/ - audio available in English and Latin. I'm attempting to learn my basic prayers (Our Father, Sign of the Cross, Hail Mary, etc.) in Latin this Lenten season. :) May God bless you abundantly on your Lenten journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the tip; I will definitely be checking out the iPieta app. Great idea about learning basic prayers in Latin! I might just have to follow your lead on that!

      Delete
  2. hello. I'm here from the Catholic Blog Day link. I enjoyed this reading with so many resources and ideas. Nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to meet you as well, Gardenia! Be sure to stop by often...one of my Lenten 'services' is to blog more and share with others (while they share with me)!

      Delete
  3. Hi Birgit, from up north in gorgeous sunny, snowy [a winter wonderland day] Alberta):
    Something that's a Project for me (not sewing and crafts anymore) is Pro-Life and now the 40 Days for Life, which could be in your Pro-life Corner during Lent. Most of your REHAB PROMISES fit in for me too, especially the Activity of getting out of my computer chair as I too am a night owl. The last S could probably for most of us be Slow down and See the miracles God has given us if we just look around us each day.
    -- Carolyn McRae

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carolyn! I'm so jealous of your beautiful, snowy sunshine - we didn't even have a real snow this year. Thank you for suggesting 40 days for life - we do have some local folks that participate (nearest PP is about 2 hours away) and I keep up with the stories and post about it on the two pro-life blogs I moderate: https://www.facebook.com/rtlowensboro and https://www.facebook.com/pages/Gospel-of-Life-Committee-Diocese-of-Owensboro-KY/111636632246154. Your idea for the S is one that I am consciously trying to do as well. Glad you dropped in. Stop by again!

      Delete
  4. May the Lord bless you as you seek Him while doing, or not doing these things.

    Looking forward to reading more in the coming days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you stopped by, Trish. It has been a struggle to maintain everything I set out to accomplish, but as with other types of 'rehab', I suppose that is to be expected. I plan to report on my progress in the next couple of days, so stay tuned!

      Delete
  5. Birgit ~ I love the list (and what it spells out!) Thanks so much for sharing via the 40 Days of Seeking Him meme, too. I'm always looking for inspiration in celebrating Lent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura! I thought that it was quite telling that I made the list and then the word scramble utility chose REHAB PROMISES as the words formed! God is a wonderful, inspirational Father to us all and the Holy Spirit certain can be interesting!

      Delete

Thank you for your feedback...I love to know what is on your mind! My comment section is set for moderation and your post will be visible shortly!