Monday, April 29, 2013

Walking Away From Pride

Pride sometimes keeps us tied to things from which we need to walk away. I've encountered that reality several times in my life but have really been assaulted by it lately. Often we just go on, in auto-pilot, long after an activity has played out its usefulness in our lives. We simply like how it makes us feel - important, liked and listened to - able to share our own thoughts.

But what kind of motivation is that? Shouldn't our motives be more pure? Shouldn't we be seeking to serve without strings, instead of serving because of what we receive in return? Without measuring in numbers or accolades? That type of thought has been echoing in my consciousness lately. Yet pride kept me firmly attached. Today I finally gave in to the niggling doubts, the persistent murmurs and allowed my mind's eye to be open to unadulterated truth. I let go of an obligation I loved. Walked away from something to which I have been willingly tied for many months.

Yet my fear of feeling empty was purged and instead I walked away with a weight lifted from my shoulders. You see, I had taken this prideful attitude toward the task and allowed it to take precedence over those things which should have held more importance. Relief has washed over me and the negative entanglements that accompanied my persistence to hold on can, at long last, be cast aside.

Now I am free and find that I have multiple directions to pursue. The oft neglected support that needs to be given to those who truly depend on me - those to whom I am tied by love and family - will take precedence  There will also be more readily available time to devote to creative pursuits. Most important of all, I will make much more time for some badly needed communing with nature and its awesome Creator. That, after all, is the purpose for which we, ourselves, were made!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your feedback...I love to know what is on your mind! My comment section is set for moderation and your post will be visible shortly!