Monday, October 21, 2013

Interior Disposition: Why Fix Your Hair, If You're Wearing a Veil?

As someone who is relatively new to veiling, I ravenously researched the practice before I made my decision. The whispered call was there, but so was the fear of others' opinions - the fear of the outward. But that wasn't the inspiration at all. The decision to veil had much more to do with the interior than the exterior. With the decision now made, I'm still in tune with posts and memes on the topic. One good-natured pun in veiling circles is that, when you veil, bad hair days don't matter. Inside jokes aside, those little hidden things to which all of us succumb are called to mind.

So, yes, I spend time on my hair before attending Mass - but it's not because my nice 'do' will impress my fellow parishioners. My purpose is to do my best for Jesus, whose house I will be visiting - He Who I will consume in the Holy Sacrament of the Eucharist. Whether or not it's seen by others, I know, and so does He - so I want to present my best to Him.

These musings also present us with an opportunity to ponder the interior state of our souls. Are there little, hidden things not apparent to others? Should they matter? Who will know? The obvious answer is a resounding, yes - they matter! If we are truly living out our purpose in this life - gaining Eternal Life with God - then we must sweep away those interior cobwebs. Outward appearances are, as they say, only skin deep. What matters most is that which can't be seen by the world - our innermost heart and soul. Regular interior housekeeping - confession - becomes another necessary accessory to our Mass attendance.

Let a man examine himself, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup. For any one who eats and drinks without discerning the body eats and drinks judgment upon himself.
 1 Corinthians 11:28-29 28

Don't Be Glum


All of this awareness shouldn't be a source of despair, however. St. Matthew says it nicely: Don't go for the show; have the proper disposition. 
And when you fast, be not as the hypocrites, sad. For they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Amen I say to you, they have received their reward.
~Matthew 6:16
The next penitential season on the Liturgical Calendar, Advent, is just five Sundays away. Although Advent isn't as somber as Lent, it is still a time of solemn preparation - not just of the household, but of our souls. We will prepare rich foods, gifts, and celebratory decor, yet we will also deny ourselves a bit of our customary luxuries. It's a time of making our souls ready as well. Will we afford ourselves of the vast offerings of Penitential Services and confession opportunities? We await to receive Him as an infant - God become man to shed His Blood for our salvation. Preparations will be made with great joy and anticipation - a happy time for families to share. Yet we must also prepare our inner disposition for His coming. We also know, some day will be the day of His final coming. Are you ready?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your feedback...I love to know what is on your mind! My comment section is set for moderation and your post will be visible shortly!